CBD, fibromyalgia, what if these two terms were linked by pain?
Cannabis has been used for thousands of years. This plant provides both body and brain effects. In many countries (China, India, Egypt, …), it could be used traditionally to open the doors of perception (hallucinations), to heal (shamanic ritual), to calm the pain (CBD) or to have access to the unconscious (psyche) of its consumer. At present, whether for its recreational effects or its therapeutic virtues, cannabis is consumed all over the world.
Since 2018, many
or physical stores have been legally selling products containing CBD. (cannabidiol). This molecule, specific to cannabis, is legal because, unlike THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), it does not cause psychotropic effects.
If the success of these CBD products is increasing, especially among patients suffering from chronic pain and for whom conventional treatments are not enough, it is because CBD has many virtues. As many testimonies highlight its analgesic and relaxing potential, could this be the key to its success? If CBD has real anti-pain virtues, can we say that CBD products such as hemp oil or CBD cannabis flowers are likely to relieve the symptoms of a disease such as fibromyalgia?
CBD and Fibromyalgia, definitions
(cannabidiol) is a cannabinoid specific to cannabis. It would have therapeutic properties such as :
- anti pain, anti inflammatory, anxiolytic, anti stress.
It is also very appreciated for its benefits on the muscular relaxation and the feeling of relaxation which it causes
is a disease that combines permanent and diffuse muscle and/or joint pain with other symptoms such as chronic fatigue, sleep and mood disorders. This disease has a major impact on the quality of life and social, sports and professional activities.
CBD as a treatment for fibromyalgia
The hypothesis that CBD would have real virtues to relieve pain related to fibromyalgia can be explained by the tendency of this cannabinoid to attenuate the intensity of pain signals sent by the nerves
Several studies support this hypothesis:
- In 2011 (1): A study of the effects of cannabis use in patients with fibromyalgia. The results show a relief of certain symptoms such as stiffness and pain intensity, associated with a general feeling of well-being.
- In 2014 (2): Following a global survey conducted by the National Pain Foundation, cannabis would be significantly more effective in treating the symptoms of fibromyalgia than FDA (Food and Drug Administration) approved medications.
- In 2020 (3): A scientific study on the effects of cannabis and in particular CBD as a “treatment” for fibromyalgia. It shows that while current evidence is still limited, emerging data suggest a positive action of cannabis on pain caused by fibromyalgia.
Despite these positive results, these studies have a limitation: they focus primarily on the use of “therapeutic cannabis” with THC. However, if the link between CBD and the relief of pain related to fibromyalgia is not perfectly demonstrated, we now know the benefits of CBD on chronic pain and its relaxing action. Moreover, unlike medical cannabis, CBD hemp has no psychotropic effects since it does not contain THC.
For these reasons, the use of products concentrated in CBD and other cannabinoids (except THC) such as
hemp grass and resin allows a high benefit/risk ratio.
CBD dosage for fibromyalgia
If the benefits of CBD are real, in France, this molecule is not considered as a medicine. Therefore, there is no official recommended daily dose.
The effects of cannabidiol depend directly on :
- the concentration of the product
- the physiology of the individual
- its weight
- its “therapeutic” needs
Therefore, it is impossible to recommend a precise daily amount. It is then advised, for a novice user, to start with low dosages. This recommendation is valid both for the concentration of the product and the quantity ingested. Depending on the expected effects and after a few days of use, it will then be possible to increase the dose of CBD by evaluating again the responses of this “treatment” on his body.
Which CBD for fibromyalgia?
CBD oil and fibromyalgia
If no research has formally demonstrated the effectiveness of CBD oil on pain related to fibromyalgia, a good number of testimonies still give it many virtues:
- calms the pain
- relaxing effect.
The benefits of CBD would come from its inhibiting action on the production of an enzyme belonging to our endocannabinoid system (ECS). This enzyme has the function of regulating anandamide (commonly called “happiness hormone”). The CBD oil being a very concentrated product, its action is particularly fast and durable. And then, a few drops are enough !
Cannabis CBD flowers and resin and fibromyalgia
The majority of research on the health effects of CBD tends to say that in a notable number of patients, significant improvements are seen in :
- stress, pain, depression and insomnia
They link these benefits to the known action of CBD on SEC receptors. Indeed, this molecule mimics and reinforces the effects of endocannabinoids.
Flowers, like cannabis resin, are products with a very high CBD content. Their organoleptic properties are such that they are as good to taste as they are to relax the body. Therefore, they are perfectly suited to serenely accompany patients suffering from fibromyalgia.
CBD gummies and fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia is characterized by chronic widespread pain, fatigue and depressive episodes without an organic diagnosis. This disease affects up to 10% of the population and is not yet effectively treated by conventional medicine. As CBD is increasingly recognized as an effective pain reliever, it is natural that fibromyalgia patients turn to this natural “treatment”.
Gummies Bubble Crunch Smarties
are small candies with a CBD content close to 100%. In case of crisis, their concentration allows a fast and powerful effect of CBD. In addition, these little treats are tangy and full of goodness and can be eaten anywhere and anytime since they can be taken anywhere!
CBD cream or balm and fibromyalgia
Thanks to the anti-inflammatory action of CBD, balms or creams containing it can locally soothe irritations, painful muscle areas or neurological pain. They are therefore good partners in relieving some of the symptoms of fibromyalgia. Especially for those concerned about the effects of ingesting cannabinoid-based products such as resin, weed heads, candy or oils. A great alternative to achieve wellness.
E-liquid with CBD and fibromyalgia
There are different concentrations of CBD in the ready-to-use e-liquids found on the market. As each individual has his own sensitivity to cannabinoids, an effective dose in one person will not necessarily be effective in another. The good dosage of CBD for a liquid is thus the one which allows to relieve certain pains and plunges the consumer in a relaxing state. It is unique to each person!
Diseases such as fibromyalgia cause a significant decrease in the quality of life (anxiety, pain, …). For vapers suffering from this ailment, taking a CBD e-liquid instead of their usual e-liquid can be a great help in relieving and relaxing the muscles.
Modes of CBD absorption and fibromyalgia
CBD infusion and fibromyalgia
If the therapeutic benefits of CBD are still under study, undeniably, this cannabinoid has many virtues:
- Relaxing effect: reduction of stress and anxiety
- Analgesic effect: reduction of joint, muscle and bone pain
- Facilitates digestion: CBD acts on the endocannabinoid receptors of the digestive system (among others) of our body.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: CBD acts on the endocannabinoid receptors of the human body and can thus relieve inflammation, a particularly important symptom in certain chronic diseases (multiple sclerosis, arthritis, etc).
Considering the number of its benefits, CBD can therefore be a faithful ally for patients suffering from fibromyalgia.
The infusion allows to extract the active principles (here, cannabinoids and in particular CBD) and the flavours (here, terpenes) of a substance (candies, weed, oils, …) by plunging it in a boiling liquid. Drinking a CBD herbal tea allows hydration, warmth, digestion and drainage of toxins from the body, but also to enjoy the natural benefits of cannabinoids (CBD) while retaining the unique flavors of the infused product.
If globally, the feelings of a CBD infusion are slower to come than with the vaporization or by taking in sublingual (in the form of oil), for as much the experience is rich and durable.
CBD vaping and fibromyalgia
A vaporizer allows the extraction of cannabidiol and terpenes present in hemp flowers
and cannabis oils. With this device, it is possible to regulate the optimal heating temperature to extract these substances in the form of steam. Although the combustion threshold varies from one product to another, the heating power of a vaporizer should never exceed 230°C.
With an electronic cigarette, it is the e-liquid that, once heated, emits water vapor associated with the active ingredients that compose it (CBD and flavors).
Whatever the type of vape (vaporizer or electronic cigarette) used, this method of absorption of CBD allows a regular supply of the molecule and therefore a continuous action. This feature is ideal for chronic diffuse pain such as fibromyalgia.
CBD patch and fibromyalgia
At present, the analgesic effects of cannabis are recognized. A study published in the Journal of Pain & Palliative Care Pharmacotherapy, shows in particular its interest in the management of pain in fibromyalgia patients.
A CBD cannabis patch, in addition to the CBD-related properties, has many benefits:
- It diffuses the active ingredients slowly. It remains effective for 8 to 12 hours.
- The extremely slow diffusion of CBD in the body is such that the need for patches is moderate.
- The dose of active ingredients released is more easily controlled than by oral, intravenous or intramuscular absorption.
This method of absorption is therefore perfectly suited to people suffering from fibromyalgia.
CBD and fibromyalgia, opinions and comments
CBD and fibromyalgia, forum
Many testimonies and opinions about CBD and its effects on the pain of people with fibromyalgia flood the web in the form of forums. If an Internet user cannot replace the advice of a doctor, browsing these forums can be a mine of information.
CBD and fibromyalgia, side effects
There are some inconveniences that can rarely result from the consumption of CBD: slight drowsiness, desire to drink, …). However, in the vast majority of cases, the benefit / risk ratio is in favor of CBD! Indeed, nCBD does not alter the state of consciousness, does not cause addiction or dependence and has no proven toxicity. On the other hand, there are many virtues that are testified to him.
To date, there are no effective drug treatments to cure fibromyalgia. On the other hand, CBD which acts on the endocannabinoid system can be very useful.
There are many benefits related to CBD in relation to the symptoms of fibromyalgia:
- Reduction of chronic pain
- Relaxing properties. CBD reduces muscle stiffness in fibromyalgia patients.
- Improved sleep
- Reduction of stress and anxiety. The resulting improvement in mood is beneficial to the morale of patients.
FAQ: CBD and fibromyalgia
- Cannabis Use in Patients with Fibromyalgia: Effect on Symptoms Relief and Health-Related Quality of Life; Jimena Fiz, Marta Durán, Dolors Capellà, Jordi Carbonell and Magí Farré; April 2011; Plos One: https: //journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0018440
- Marijuana Rated Significantly More Effective in Treating Fibromyalgia Symptoms than FDA-Approved Drugs, Global Survey Finds; National Pain Foundation (FDA) ;April 2014; PR Newswire: https: //www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/marijuana-rated-significantly-more-effective-in-treating-fibromyalgia-symptoms-than-fda-approved-drugs-global-survey-finds-255993421.html
- Cannabis and cannabidiol (CBD) for the treatment of fibromyalgia; Amnon A Berger, Joseph Keefe, Ariel Winnick, Elasaf Gilbert, Jonathan P Eskander, Cyrus Yazdi, Alan D Kaye, Omar Viswanath and Ivan Urits; August 2020; Pubmed.gov: https: //pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33004171/